Wednesday, June 22, 2011

banana muffins with chocolate cream cheese frosting

For my sister's birthday today she wanted a banana bread, and she loooooves any kind of frosting...so I thought it would be good to turn the banana bread into muffins and frost them with a cream cheese frosting.  Using Rachael Ray's banana bread recipe I whipped up these muffins in like 20 minutes, they are so so soo easy and bake much quicker than a bread.  To make the muffins you will need...

1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar (however, I cut it down to 1/3 cup...my sister doesn't like things sweet)
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
3 bananas

First you want to mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar (although you technically are supposed to add the sugar to the banana's, I forgot though and threw it in with the dry ingredients...but it was fine)...


Next you want to mash up the bananas...I find that a fork does the job best...


Then you can incorporate the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and fold together...don't overmix!



I like to use a small ladle to add the mixture to the muffin tins...it helps them to be uniform and it doesn't drip off the spoon as easily...


Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes...just watch them though when they turn a golden brown color its time to take them out....


So that they would cool faster I removed them from the muffin tin and placed them on a cookie sheet.  While they were cooling I whipped together the frosting...for which you will need...

8 oz cream cheese
4-5 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder

First you want to cream the cream cheese with an electric hand mixer...


Then add the butter and mix again...slowly!  You can then add the vanilla and powdered sugar (in batches)...beating slowly and evenly...once it is all combined you can add the cocoa powder and beat again until there is no more white...


Allow the frosting to chill in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes so that it s easily spreadable...


Frost and enjoy!!  I found its best to keep the muffins in the fridge =)



No comments:

Post a Comment