Thursday, June 9, 2011

what are you smokin?!

So for awhile now I have been wanting to try out the Polyscience Smoking Gun from Williams-Sonoma and along came my perfect opportunity to learn being that it is part of my tech class on Sunday.  When I found out I was going to be doing a class on BBQ ribs I was kinda nervous because I have never made ribs before and never ever have I even come close to using the smoking gun!!  So I asked my manager if it would be okay for me to take it home for the night to experiment...and that is just what I did.  In my fear of filling the entire kitchen with smoke I took the little machine outside along with an assortment of random things from the fridge. I opened up the box, assembled the smoker and filled the little cavity with my first choice of chips...Mesquite.





After filling the little cavity with my chips I proceeded to light them...after burning my fingers twice I finally got the thing to light and smoke begin piping out of the tube!!  I wanted to try the technique of trapping the smoke inside of a container, so I did it with some left over pasta.



After success with the pasta I went on to smoke some salt and then I used some Applewood chips to smoke some apple sauce...I thought it would be weird but it actually turned out really good!  For the class I will be smoking bbq sauce which I will be brushing on ribs.  You can pretty much smoke anything...from sauces, to salads...to even ice-cream and drinks!!

2 comments:

  1. You might want to check out liquid smoke....it sounds cheap and gross, but apparently it's really effective and genuine, since it actually is liquid smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I have heard of that before but I have never used it...we used to carry it at Williams-Sonoma but we stopped a few months ago...it wasn't a huge seller but it did always seem interesting and I'm sure it is probably much easier than pulling out the smoking gun.

    ReplyDelete