Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Apple Pie!

Everyone loves a good apple pie, and so a few days ago me and my friend Heather made one.  Being the crafty girls that we are we snuck an entire bag of apple out of the dining hall as well as two coffee cups full of butter...we're so sneaky haha.  Grabbing my favorite All Clad pan we we were off to our RD's apartment to use his oven (living in the dorms with no oven can be pretty challenging sometimes...good thing our RD lets us use his kitchen!).  Because we were at school we decided to buy pre-made pie crust (normally I would make it myself cause it tastes muuuuch better than store bought and it doesn't burn as easily).  The recipe is really simple....actually we didn't really follow one haha I just looked one up kinda as a guideline.  What I did was throw some butter in the pan and let the apples cook down a little.  You do not necessarily need to cook the apples before making them into a pie but it helps them along when they are cooking...also it tastes better to make the sauce in the pan with the apples.  After the apples begin to cook throw in about 3/4 cup brown sugar (it could have used more I'm gonna use a cup next time...) also you need 1/4 cup flour and then a bunch of spices.  I used cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and a few other fall-ish spices.  Also, super important...make sure you use some type of acid (either lemon or apple cider vinegar works best).  You want to mix this into the apple mixture right before you take it off the stove.  The acid does something with the pH balance or something I don't really know the sciencey part haha.  Heather and I also attempted a lattice crust...it was harder than I thought I never did one on a pie before.  But I think it turned out pretty cute =)
About to go in the oven!

To make the crust golden brown brush it with a little egg wash and sprinkle with sugar
All baked! Yum! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment