Monday, April 4, 2011

oooh the Amish...

So...its been quite some time since my last post, I don't want it to go this long again but its kinda difficult to make something new every day here in dorm life.  However this weekend I had some great food encounters!

First off I took my friend Heather to my hometown of Lancaster because she wanted to see the Amish haha so I took her around to all the hot spots.  Our first stop was, of course, Williams Sonoma where I showed her where I work...my co-workers were surprised to see my in Lancaster unannounced lol.  The second stop was Central Market in downtown Lancaster city.  Its a really neat place where people (mainly Amish, but there are other vendors as well) set up stands where they sell produce and baked goods.  Its definitely a fun experience if you have never been to a market.  I got Heather a chocolate cream cheese cupcake cause you can't leave there without one!

Next we went to Historic Lititz, where I spend most of my childhood.  We first went to the Wilbur Chocolate factory where Heather got to sample some Wilbur Buds which is pretty much the best chocolate on earth.  Each piece is handmade by these old ladies who literally sit behind glass all day making chocolate after chocolate after chocolate....
 Here they are slaving away behind the glass...personally I think this would be really fun!  But I'm sure it gets old.  They are very talented - Heather was really excited to see the huge owl they carved out of chocolate (owls are her fav!)

Here we have the original kitchen equipment that was used to make the chocolate...don't know how I feel about this, I definitely wouldn't have survived...although I do see a lot of copper which is a pretty good choice...

Here we have some fudge...yum!

After we left the Chocolate factory we went over to the Sturgis Pretzel factory where we sampled a homemade soft pretzel and got a picture outside with the giant pretzel.


After our fun adventures we journeyed back to Philadelphia where Heather had the grand idea to make Oreo Truffles...which were amazing!!  Basically all you do is put a bag of Oreos in a food processor with cream cheese and blend until the mixture is able to be rolled into balls.  Then you chill them in the fridge until they set and after you can dip them in chocolate and decorate with sprinkles.  They were super easy and really tasty!!




No comments:

Post a Comment