Monday, April 4, 2011

sadly, not all citrus fruits are created equal...

So this weekend I had a giant food fail...I mean in life ya win some and ya lose some - not everything you make is gonna turn out.  Here is the story of the Orange Square failure...
Basically, I have a serious love and addiction to lemon squares, but I had been making them far too much though I should mix it up a little and try something new.  I thought I could definitely replace the lemons in the recipe with oranges because after all they are both citrus fruits, right?  Well, it didn't quite turn out like I had planned.  First off oranges are much harder to juice and you get much less juice out of a single orange.  Where I only needed to use 2 lemons for the lemon bars I needed to use 3 oranges and I still didn't have enough juice.  The final product turned out all rubbery and weird, and they were waaaayyy too sweet...I missed the tartness of the lemon squares.  Although my roommate (who loooves oranges) seemed to love the squares, so I guess they weren't a total fail.  But nonetheless, lesson learned...not all citrus fruits are created equal.  However, this will not stop me!!  Next up is grapefruit squares...or maybe lemon grapefruit squares...and my friend thinks apple squares will work....the fruit square possibilities are endless...
 

1 comment:

  1. might not have been good oranges Carley... but it will loose the tartness even if there's lots of juice. keep cookin' girl - proud of you.

    ReplyDelete